- High mechanical strength, stiffness, hardness and toughness
- Good fatigue resistance
- High mechanical damping ability
- Good sliding properties
- Excellent wear resistance
- Good electrical insulating properties
- Good resistance to high energy radiation (gamma- and X-rays)
- Good machinability
Nylatron GSM contains finely divided particles of molybdenum disulphide to enhance its bearing and wear behaviour without impairing the impact and fatigue resistance inherent to unmodified cast nylon grades. It is a very commonly used grade for gears, bearings, sprockets and sheaves.
Nylons can absorb up to 7% (by weight) water under high humidity or submerged in water. This can result in dimensional changes up to 2% and a corresponding reduction of physical properties. Proper design techniques can frequently compensate for this factor.